January - Pan Roast Pheasant Breast
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Put a good knob of butter into a pan to melt and add the garlic and seasoning, followed by the mushrooms and the herbs.
Before adding the herbs to the food, crush the leaves between your fingers. This helps release volatile oils and increases the herb's fragrance and flavour.
2. Once the mushrooms start to soften add the baby spinach. This will cook very quickly so stir just until the leaves have shrunk and incorporated with the mushrooms.
3. Slice open the breasts lengthways, and spoon in the buttery mushroom mixture. Then, wrap the whole breast in the pancetta, making sure to cover the opening to keep the stuffing in. Use a cocktail stick to secure.
4. Place the breasts in a non-stick roasting tray and slide into the oven. Cook for 10 minutes, remove and let stand. If you want to add roasted garlic to the sweet potatoes, roast these in the same tin.
Pheasant is a lean meat and will become dry from over-cooking. Aim for meat that is slightly pink inside (like pink lamb) and with the juices from the stuffing it will be lovely and tender.
5. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and put them in a pot of water to boil until soft. Drain and return to the pan, add 2 Tbs of crème fraiche, seasoning, a teaspoon of dried thyme and the roasted garlic, and get mashing.
For the Veg
6. Peel, and cut the sweet potatoes into manageable chunks and put them in a pot of water to boil until really soft. Drain, and put into a large dish, and get mashing.
7. Serve and enjoy!