March - Easy Venison Shank Casserole
A perfect alternative to a classic lamb shank, this beautifully simple recipe is one that will fall off the bone.
1) Brown the shanks in a frying pan, remove and place them in a casserole dish.
2) Gently fry the lardons in the same pan, add the vegetables and fry until soft (add a little oil if necessary).
3) Mix in the flour and cook briefly, then pour in the stock, wine or beer. Stir well and add the mixture to the casserole.
4) Bring the casserole to simmer then put it into a low oven/100C for 3-4 hours.
Half an hour before serving mix in a tablespoon of cranberry sauce to sweeten it up.
5) You can give it an occasional stir or just head out and return later for a delicious hearty meal.