December - One Pan Roast Venison Haunch
Deck the haunch with wine and rosemary! Fancy an easy winter crowd pleaser? This one-pan roast makes a delicious game alternative to your usual Sunday lunch. Bringing together the sweetness of root veggies with the rich flavour of venison, we are sure this recipe will soon become a favourite.
1 Venison Haunch
Salt and Pepper
6-8 fresh bay leaves
6 Large sprigs of rosemary
Oil from anchovies
Juice of 1 Lemon
5 Large Parsnips
5 Large Carrots
4 Potatoes, quartered
2 White Onions, quartered
6 cloves garlic
For the Gravy
180ml Red Wine
Take the meat out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking to bring to room temperature. This will allow more even cooking.
2. Rub the meat with garlic, lemon juice, anchovy oil, salt and pepper and lay bay leaves over the haunch.
3. Roast for 15 mins per kg. If you prefer it more well done, turn the oven down to 180C and roast for a further 15-20 minutes.
5. Pour off the juices into a saucepan and return the veg to the oven to crisp up.
For the gravy
6. Add the red wine, stock and a spoonful of redcurrant jelly to the juices in the saucepan. Set over a low heat and simmer for 10 mins.
7. Slice generously with a good spoonful of the roasted veggies, and serve with lightly salted kale.