February - Winter Venison Casserole
📷 The Good Guide
Frostier mornings, darker nights - it would only be right to make a warming venison casserole, right?!
1) Flour and brown 2.5kg of Woodmill Game Diced Venison in a frying pan, and then put it into a large casserole dish.
2) Chop 2 onions, 2 cloves of garlic, 500g mushrooms and 5 rashers of bacon. Soften them in the same frying pan and then add to the casserole dish.
3) Swoosh a glass of red wine around the frying pan and stir in the meat and veg juices. Add to the casserole and bring up the liquid to ½ a bottle of wine and add a stock cube. Season with rosemary and salt & pepper and bring slowly to the boil. Cook in a low/medium oven for 2 hours.
4) Check the flavour and season accordingly; thicken with cornflour if the gravy is a bit thin.
5) Serve with mashed neeps and tatties and steamed green beans and enjoy with a full bodied red wine.