February - Winter Venison Casserole
Frostier mornings, darker nights - it would only be right to make a warming venison casserole, right?!
1) Flour and brown 2.5kg of Woodmill Game Diced Venison in a frying pan, and then put it into a large casserole dish.
2) Chop 2 onions, 2 cloves of garlic, 500g mushrooms and 5 rashers of bacon. Soften them in the same frying pan and then add to the casserole dish.
Adding just one small anchovy fillet into the mix when you’re cooking the vegetables brings an amazing lift to the flavour. Don’t be afraid if you don’t like anchovies - it’s worth it!
3) Swoosh a glass of red wine around the frying pan and stir in the meat and veg juices. Add to the casserole and bring up the liquid to ½ a bottle of wine and add a stock cube. Season with rosemary and salt & pepper and bring slowly to the boil. Cook in a low/medium oven for 2 hours.
4) Check the flavour and season accordingly; thicken with cornflour if the gravy is a bit thin.
5) Serve with mashed neeps and tatties and steamed green beans and enjoy with a full bodied red wine.