Savoury Venison Mince
3 celery sticks
1 large carrot
1 large red onion
2 tablespoons of veg oil
1kg venison mince
1 beef stock pot
1 heaped tablespoon of flour
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 bottle red wine
Neeps & tatties for mash
1) Preheat the oven to 95oC. Finely dice 3 celery sticks, 1 large carrot and 1 large red onion.
2) Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a casserole dish and cook the diced ingredients over a gentle heat with the venison mince until the vegetables are soft and the mince is brown.
3) Melt a beef stock pot in the dish and stir to coat all of the ingredients. Add a heaped tablespoon of flour and a teaspoon of paprika. Cook together for 5 minutes. Glug in half a bottle of red wine and cook off for 1 minute. Add a lid to the dish and place in the oven for 2 hours.
- Woodmill Tip -
Rice and Gram flour work as perfect alternatives to wheat flour and make the recipe gluten free.
4) Check the dish after one hour, if there is too much liquid remove the lid. If the mince is looking too tick add some water or more wine.
5) Serve with mashed neeps and tatties and steamed green beans or use to make into a shepherds pie by transferring into a shallow dish and adding creamy mashed potatoes on top.